Barriers to Learning (Teachers)

Hidden Dyslexia by Moira Thomson - Monday, 5 September 2011, 10:34 AM

Al's Photo
Hidden Dyslexia by Moira Thomson - Monday, 5 September 2011, 10:34 AM
by Alasdair Andrew - Sunday, 14 April 2013, 1:56 PM

Dyslexia is one of the most common factors contributing to pupils experiencing barriers to learning in the mainstream classroom.

Why do you think that it is so often 'hidden' - either not identified at all or mis-identified as behavioural issues?

Al's Photo
Re: Hidden Dyslexia by Moira Thomson - Monday, 5 September 2011, 10:34 AM
by Alasdair Andrew - Sunday, 14 April 2013, 1:57 PM

Re: Hidden Dyslexia
by Gillian Deans - Thursday, 7 June 2012, 12:54 PM

The reasons I think Dyslexia can often not be identified at all are;

High IQ- being able to demonstrate intelligence whilst masking/hiding difficulties. A pupil can often be over-confident in one skill, yet lack confidence to demonstrate knowledge/understanding in other ways such as writing.

Heavy reliance on a particular learning style where a pupil is always able to be assessed using strengths and not being challenged to build on weaknesses. I think this can be a way of both pupil and teacher 'turning their backs' on a problem needing a solution.

Setting the pace too fast or slow/ setting the challenge too high or low can lead to lack of engagement with other problems such as poor behaviour etc being to blame for not achieving.

I think the issue of mis-identifying dyslexia as behavioural issues stems from a child's self-esteem, which is much lower where there is a fear of learning and a fear of not being able to understand or communicate. A child may try to avoid something too difficult, and this occurs in different ways from causing distraction to outright refusal to engage. A child may also feel completely frustrated and may display this outwardly, either physically or verbally, or inwardly through an inability to communicate or engage with peers.

MaggieM Picture
by Margaret MacLardie - Saturday, 16 June 2012, 04:32 PM

I would agree, Gillian. In our mainstream secondary school, any pupils who are referred for behaviour support are automatically tested for dyslexia in case this has not been identified at an earlier stage. The results of the testing are then shared with parents/carers and teachers.
Picture of Mahmut Aydin
by Mahmut Aydin - Monday, 27 August 2012, 06:53 PM

There are few reason; firstly it could be overlooked and secondly other things such as physical impairments could prevent to clarify. 
Picture of Lori Furniss
by Lori Furniss - Tuesday, 30 October 2012, 09:31 AM

I think that often children are able to mask it well with coping strategies, or behaviour. I also believe that, in some cases, it is necessary to raise teacher awareness as definitions etc have changed over the years and also with lots of other things to think about it can be overlooked.
I am working hard in my school to raise teacher awareness of what exactly dyslexia is and how it feels in the hope that they may look again at those children who are "lazy" or "can't be bothered." 
We have done activities as a staff such as writing with the wrong hand, copying Japanese off the board etc in the hope that putting teachers "in their shoes" they might be more able to identify children that may be struggling with dyslexic tendencies. 
I also agree that with increasing teacher workloads it is important for families to be involved but think that in some cases this is difficult. I liked the idea of screening children who are referred for bad behaviour. This is something that I may look into in my school, perhaps not screening all but at least looking into it more closely. Although, I hope that with raising teacher awareness this may mean that teachers think twice before referring straight to behaviour. 
Picture of Broni Jones
by Broni Jones - Tuesday, 11 December 2012, 12:51 PM

When doing lesson observations it is apparent (as we are all aware) that children misbheave when the work set for them is too easy or too hard. When work is too hard children often resport to 'bad behaviour' as a get out clause. It is easier to play up and use that as a distraction, rather than admit that the work is too hard, especially if the majority of chidlren are able to access this work or to set yourself up to fail before someone else does this for you.

This ends up in the behaviour being the issue, when in fact it is the learning that is the barrier - the behaviour is the way of coping. We need to look at the whole child and the bigger picture.

Picture of Conor Hogan
by Conor Hogan - Sunday, 13 January 2013, 07:17 PM

Having taught in Northern Ireland I found that dyslexia and special needs are often hidden by the pupils as a lot of you have touched on. THis is aa beahvioural issue and comes down to self awarness of feeling inferior. Also I beleieve that if the class sizes are too big then all Special needs are harder to diagnose.