Barriers to Learning (Teachers)

Children who self harm teaching techniques by Conor Hogan - Monday, 14 January 2013, 10:27 PM

Al's Photo
Children who self harm teaching techniques by Conor Hogan - Monday, 14 January 2013, 10:27 PM
by Alasdair Andrew - Sunday, 14 April 2013, 1:52 PM

Having a feeling of being trapped in yourself and wanting to tear off your skin. This is according to the video “Supporting young minds” from presentation 9 from the Barriers to learning course. These feelings are very, very challenging for people that self harm but also for me when I think of potential children that may self harm- whom I may be teaching. Once again could there be teaching techniques used for those that self harm, or ways of dealing with a self harmer?
Al's Photo
Re: Children who self harm teaching techniques by Conor Hogan - Monday, 14 January 2013, 10:27 PM
by Alasdair Andrew - Sunday, 14 April 2013, 1:52 PM

Re: Children who self harm teaching techniques
by Broni Jones - Tuesday, 15 January 2013, 08:50 AM

Children who self-harm will often have complex issues. If you susepct a child is self harming then seek advice from outside professionals. Children who self-harm use it as a coping mechanism, if that mechanism is taken away from them they need something in its place to cope with their feelings. It may be that if you are working with chidlren presenting with anxiety/emotional issues then they can have something in place, such as a time out activity, stress ball etc to use if they become anxious.

Some children self-harm for attention, some as a way of coping. If a child is using self-harm as a way of coping then they will often do in in secret as they do not want to be found out, as this is their way of coping and they often feel ashamed of what they are doing.

I would always seek further advice in this case

Picture of Conor Hogan
Re: Children who self harm teaching techniques
by Conor Hogan - Tuesday, 15 January 2013, 10:46 AM

Interesting Broni,. Especially the issue of stress balls. I am aware of these balls but I have never been in contact with a child who has had to use them. Great to get that information. Many thanks.