Barriers to Learning (Teachers)

Child With Special Need Has an Outburt, and you`re alone? by Conor Hogan - Tuesday, 15 January 2013, 02:01 PM

Al's Photo
Child With Special Need Has an Outburt, and you`re alone? by Conor Hogan - Tuesday, 15 January 2013, 02:01 PM
by Alasdair Andrew - Sunday, 14 April 2013, 1:51 PM

I was once asked this question in a teaching interview and the interviewer piut me under alot of pressure. They seemed to be putting pressure on me to imitate the pressure that a teacher or SNA would feel if a Child With Special Need Has an Outburt, and you`re alone?

My answer was to : 1. stay calm and present

2. Be aware of the child`s special need and relaise it is their learning difficulty or frustration and not theier personality that is the reason for the outbust

3. Seek a more exeperienced memebr of staff to assist you.

None of the 3 reasons were sufficent, as with reason 3. the interviewer said you would not/ should not leave the room as you are alone with the pupil.

In other teaching eexperience I had a child with autism who really needed to be in their daily routine. One week the school routine was very out of the usual due to exteranl and uncontrolable issues. The child felt this and began to run ourside the class,, then the school yard and eventually ran through the school gate. I followed and clamly ran behind, clamly asking the child to come back. It took a while but I evenutually got the child to come back by running to them and holinding their hand and being calm. They didnt resist my tactile touch or holding of the hand but complied but they aurally ignored me and my oral requests.

Has anyone any advice on the above 2 scenarios?