Barriers to Learning (Teachers)

Hidden Dyslexia by Dionne Burton - Sunday, 28 October 2012, 05:21 PM

Al's Photo
Hidden Dyslexia by Dionne Burton - Sunday, 28 October 2012, 05:21 PM
by Alasdair Andrew - Sunday, 14 April 2013, 1:50 PM

I believe that one of the issues and reasons why dyslexia is not discovered is due to lack of understanding of it, both from teachers and parents.  Knowing the workload of teachers and class sizes I do not believe that it would possible to identify every instance of dyslexia, especially if the student concerned has developed coping mechanisms that mask it.  But, if parents knew more about the signs, they may also be able to contribute towards its identification.  
Al's Photo
Re: Hidden Dyslexia by Dionne Burton - Sunday, 28 October 2012, 05:21 PM
by Alasdair Andrew - Sunday, 14 April 2013, 1:50 PM

Picture of Moira Thomson
Re: Hidden Dyslexia
by Moira Thomson - Tuesday, 12 February 2013, 08:51 AM

As course tutor I agree - especially about teachers' increasing workload and the role of parents.  Very few people ourside of the classroom actually have more than a very rudimentary notion of how dyselxia may affect individuals and how the characterisitics might manifest - in and out of school.

It is for this reason that CPD Bytes has developed a version of this Hidden dyslexia course especially for parents and non-education professionals.

Picture of Conor Hogan
Re: Hidden Dyslexia
by Conor Hogan - Monday, 14 January 2013, 10:59 AM

I have noticed that some of the videos on the Barriers to learnign course recommend that educating not only the children that have their special need or dyslexia for the purposes of this discussion, but also for educating other pupils of the particular learning need of certain pupils in the class/ school. I think that this is a very good thing and teaches children about other peoples`differences and challenges in life.Perhaps if schools were to hold information evenings for parents and educate them on the learning needs of pupils across their range of classes at the beeginning of the school year that it will make all the parents more aware of special needs and this may promote acceptance and more awareness with their parents are discussing school with their children at the end of the day or when they meet other parents at school concerts or at the school gates on a daily basis.