Barriers to Learning (Teachers)

Behaviours masking learning difficulties by Peter Sharp - Monday, 21 May 2012, 12:33 PM

Al's Photo
Behaviours masking learning difficulties by Peter Sharp - Monday, 21 May 2012, 12:33 PM
by Alasdair Andrew - Sunday, 14 April 2013, 1:44 PM

In my current role within the school I continue to see certain pupils names appearing on the excluded list with worrying regularity. As a result I looked into this further and as a result I submitted a proposal to the Senior Management Team. This proposal suggested that after several exclusions the pupil should be referred to me so as to follow a programme of behavioural input so that they were more able to identify the triggers and roots of their own behaviour. What also became apparent was that their behaviours were potentially 'masking' a learning need which I could then refer onto the Principle Teacher of Pupil Support. I now run this programme and in the next school year this programme has been given the green light to be expanded in an attempt to raise attainment in those disaffected and disengaged learners who persistently use inappropriate behaviour in the classroom.

I would be interested to hear others views on this please.

Al's Photo
Re: Behaviours masking learning difficulties by Peter Sharp - Monday, 21 May 2012, 12:33 PM
by Alasdair Andrew - Sunday, 14 April 2013, 1:45 PM

Re:Behaviours masking learning difficulties
by Moira Thomson - Friday, 21 September 2012, 08:53 AM

What a pity you have had to get these names from the 'excluded' pupils list. 

How much better it would be if all pupils who were displaying behavioural issues were referred for a review of any barriers to learning before reaching this stage.  Sometimes the resulting disaffection and low self esteem prevents individuals from re-engaging with the curriculum - even when appropriate support is provided.

It is good to hear that you are taking steps to remedy this situation.