Forum - Hidden Dyslexia courses for Teachers

Coping strategies employed by learners with dyslexia in the classroom by Moira Thomson - Saturday, 19 March 2011, 03:21 PM

Picture of Neil Harding
Re: Coping strategies employed by learners with dyslexia in the classroom by Moira Thomson - Saturday, 19 March 2011, 03:21 PM
by Neil Harding - Wednesday, 29 January 2014, 4:19 PM

I can recall working with numerous learners who applied such tactics; poor attention span, unwilling to participate, confrontation and poor levels of literacy. Unfortunately as I was new to teaching and working with 16-18 year olds, I placed most of these signs down to the age group and stereotyped them as "naughty" learners!

Due to my initial thought process and assessment of the learners I never considered dyslexia could be a root cause.

Each of these learners undertook a monthly 1-2-1 and review of learning. It was at this stage I began to question the learner about; educational history, issues, likes, dislikes and personal goals. By building up a rapport and relationship with these learners, I quickly realized that the conduct and behaviour they were demonstrating was due to learning ability and levels rather than being "naughty". I began to use different levels of reading materials and more interesting relevant subjects. I also relied on discussion and questioning as assessment methods. This engaged them far better and helped me establish that dyslexia wasn't the issue; engagement, purpose, enjoyment and more summative assessment was needed.