Forum - Hidden Dyslexia courses for Teachers

Difficulties that co-occur with dyslexia by Moira Thomson - Saturday, 19 March 2011, 03:38 PM

Al's Photo
Difficulties that co-occur with dyslexia by Moira Thomson - Saturday, 19 March 2011, 03:38 PM
by Alasdair Andrew - Friday, 8 February 2013, 9:21 AM

It may be very difficult for a teacher to tell whether dyslexia is also present alongside another condition that appears to impact on the acquisition of literacy.

Some researchers believe that it does not matter whether any co-occurring dyslexia is identified, as this is merely a label – while others insist that identification of any dyslexia is necessary so that a learners neeeds can be met appropriately - that dyslexia demands a different teaching approach.  What do you think?

(Edited by Moira Thomson - original submission Saturday, 26 January 2013, 05:54 PM)

Al's Photo
Re: Difficulties that co-occur with dyslexia by Moira Thomson - Saturday, 19 March 2011, 03:38 PM
by Alasdair Andrew - Saturday, 26 January 2013, 5:55 PM

Picture of Kamil Trzebiatowski
Re: Difficulties that co-occur with dyslexia
by Kamil Trzebiatowski - Tuesday, 7 June 2011, 01:49 PM

I think dyslexia does demand a different teaching approach. The way I see it is that dyslexia co-exists with other conditions. Just like in case of treating other conditions, if they co-occur we treat both of them and not only the one that appears more severe. If a different condition co-exists, we should still meet learners' all needs, that means catering to their dyslexic needs. In a special school, for example, I would still insist that dyslexia is specifically targeted, alongside any other student conditions present.
Picture of deborah stead
by deborah stead - Wednesday, 22 June 2011, 06:21 PM

I think it is important to identify dyslexia as much as possible. I have found that the strategies for teaching student's with Dyslexia are suitable for other 'co-occuring' difficulties. Students with ADHD, dyspraxia, ASD benefit from clear and explicit instructions, chunking down information, use of visual aids, allowing students to record information in formats suitable for them (mindmaps) enables them to access the curriculum and achieve success.
Picture of Irene McIlchere
by Irene McIlchere - Sunday, 28 August 2011, 01:42 PM

In a number of cases the problems that trigger off further investigation by Educational Psychologists, Speech and Language Therapists or Support for Learning teams are behaviour related. The pupil can be disruptive in class, playground or at home and the focus is on ADHD, ASD etc. Unfortunately when a positive diagnosis is given the professionals can be reluctant to revisit the pupil, explaining that the strategies suggested should improve behaviour and will eventually lead to an improvement in academic work and are reluctant to attach another label to the child. The result can often be dyslexia is not diagnosed and those working with the pupil are using the strategies to keep a lid on the situation.
Picture of Fiona Rosa
Re: Difficulties that co-occur with dyslexia by Moira Thomson - Saturday, 19 March 2011, 03:38 PM
by Fiona Rosa - Monday, 1 February 2016, 8:52 PM

I agree that it can be difficult to identify dyslexia when other developmental disorders are present.  Disorders like DCD,language delay/disorder and even Meares Irlen tend to be more obvious and therefore provide a reason for the pupils' difficulties.  There are also many symptoms which a teacher may simply associate with a speech deficit. A teacher, however, should definitely pay close attention to any speech delays since this can be an early warning of dyslexia.