Forum - Hidden Dyslexia courses for Teachers

Dyslexia and multilinguilism by Lindsay Dunseith - Thursday, 2 July 2009, 12:54 AM

Al's Photo
Dyslexia and multilinguilism by Lindsay Dunseith - Thursday, 2 July 2009, 12:54 AM
by Alasdair Andrew - Saturday, 26 January 2013, 5:52 PM

I found the section on dyslexia and multilinguilism gave some interesting insights. 

In particular the article http://www.naldic.org.uk/ITTSEAL2/teaching/Dyslexiaandmultilingualism.cfm made me aware of the importance of not being too simplistic in assessing factors that indicate dyslexia. 
Al's Photo
Re: Dyslexia and multilinguilism by Lindsay Dunseith - Thursday, 2 July 2009, 12:54 AM
by Alasdair Andrew - Saturday, 26 January 2013, 5:52 PM

Picture of Irene McIlchere
Re: Dyslexia and multilinguilism
by Irene McIlchere - Saturday, 17 September 2011, 04:28 PM

I teach in a primary school where the senior pupils are taught French as a second language. Most pupils love it as it is presented through activities, music, oral work and very little writing. It is very difficult for some pupils who have made a very solid start in primary school to experience more failure when the secondary curriculum requires more reading and writing. They then drop the subject and perhaps could have continued in a more oral based approach that would have allowed them the opportunity to become more fluent in another language without feeling they have failed in two languages.