Forum Post 16

Reasonable adjustments for dyslexia by Moira Thomson - Monday, 1 November 2010, 02:33 PM

Al's Photo
Reasonable adjustments for dyslexia by Moira Thomson - Monday, 1 November 2010, 02:33 PM
by Alasdair Andrew - Saturday, 26 January 2013, 5:34 PM

Education providers cannot be expected to anticipate the needs of every prospective student, but what they are required to think about and take reasonable steps to overcome are features that may impede persons with particular kinds of disability.

All post 16 educators may expect to have  students with dyselxia in their classes, so it is likley that many of you have already made reasonable ajdustments to the delivery of courses.

Identify one or two of the adjustments that you have made to support students with dyselxia on your course and comment on hiw successful these have been

Al's Photo
Re: Reasonable adjustments for dyslexia by Moira Thomson - Monday, 1 November 2010, 02:33 PM
by Alasdair Andrew - Saturday, 26 January 2013, 5:35 PM

Picture of Caroline Sweeney
Re: Reasonable adjustments for learners with dyslexia
by Caroline Sweeney - Wednesday, 29 February 2012, 09:21 PM

Some of the adjustments made at my college include reasonable adjustment to entry requirements eg diagnosed dyslexics do not have to have achieved GCSE English at C or above and, once on course, exam and coursework deadline extensions; use of WP for note taking; in-class notetaker; 1:1 dyslexia support outside of classroom.
Picture of Mahmut Aydin
Re: Reasonable adjustments for learners with dyslexia
by Mahmut Aydin - Monday, 27 August 2012, 06:02 PM

During assessments we give learners with dyslexia additional time as a part of our policy. 
Picture of Natalie Lynn
Re: Reasonable adjustments for dyslexia by Moira Thomson - Monday, 1 November 2010, 02:33 PM
by Natalie Lynn - Monday, 27 June 2016, 6:11 PM

I have 2 students currently both who have dyslexia diagnosis.  For one of these students we find that changing the background on the the screen works and assignments broken down into smaller tasks and given individually to build up the assignment over time.  She is able to take notes during theory sessions and finds that she is able to use these to refer too after the session, but knows that if she has an issue she can contact me.  This seems to work well as the learner has been producing distinction level pieces of work. 

For the other student, she finds it really difficult to take notes and join in the discussion during theory sessions.  We record our sessions with the permission of the other students involved and as we move on to another outcome I jot down the time on the recording so that when she comes to revisit the session she can jump to the outcome she wants to listen to,  this has been really effective and has enabled her to fully join in discussions with her classmates and make significant contributions, she can listen back at her own pace and use the information to help complete the work.  She uses a laptop for completion of work. Handouts are printed on yellow paper at her request and she sometimes uses resources such as my study bar,