Forum Hidden Dyslexia for TA/LAs

Difficulties that co-occur with dyslexia by Moira Thomson - Wednesday, 20 April 2011, 07:35 AM

Al's Photo
Re: Difficulties that co-occur with dyslexia by Moira Thomson - Wednesday, 20 April 2011, 07:35 AM
by Alasdair Andrew - Saturday, 26 January 2013, 5:00 PM

Picture of Clare Sargent
Re: Difficulties that co-occur with dyslexia
by Clare Sargent - Tuesday, 8 May 2012, 08:11 PM
It seems really odd to me that an educator would not want to identify additional needs and have them met. I think a fine line is being trodden when a teacher `knows`so much that they can actually determine a child`s future by what their own opinion is on co-occurring dyslexia.
Without doubt it may be difficult to tell but it really is our responsibility to always try.
Picture of Moira Thomson
Re: Difficulties that co-occur with dyslexia
by Moira Thomson - Wednesday, 9 May 2012, 08:21 AM

Some educators - and parents - sincerely believe that children's learning needs should be met as they arise in the classroom and that it is not necessary to spend additional time in the early years of primary education investigating the factors that led to these needs arisiing. Some also believe that identification of e.g. dyslexia at an early age will result in a child being 'labelled' and that support strategies will be limited by the label.

However, many other educators - and parents - disagree with this and insist that identification of the factors that contribute to a child experiencing difficulties is not labelling - but is essential so that the most appropriate support can be provided.

It is possible to understand the arguments on both sides - but is seems to me that it is the professionals (and parents) who turn the identification of e.g. dyslexia into a label for their own convenience. If the individual needs of a child are clearly identified as early as possible, then it will surely be easier to select the most appropriate interventions and support strategies to meet these needs - especially if interventions and strategies are not labelled for use with specific conditions.