Forum Hidden Dyslexia for TA/LAs

Coping strategies employed by learners with dyslexia in the classroom by Moira Thomson - Thursday, 7 April 2011, 07:08 AM

Al's Photo
Coping strategies employed by learners with dyslexia in the classroom by Moira Thomson - Thursday, 7 April 2011, 07:08 AM
by Alasdair Andrew - Saturday, 26 January 2013, 4:56 PM

Think of a pupil you have supported in a class who has used one (or more) of the coping strategies suggested in this section. 

Do/did you think that this pupil might be dyslexic?

What steps did you take to find out if the coping behaviour was hiding dyslexia (or another issue)?

Al's Photo
Re: Coping strategies employed by learners with dyslexia in the classroom by Moira Thomson - Thursday, 7 April 2011, 07:08 AM
by Alasdair Andrew - Saturday, 26 January 2013, 4:56 PM

Picture of tracy Lenthall
Re: Coping strategies employed by learners with dyslexia in the classroom
by tracy Lenthall - Thursday, 7 July 2011, 04:31 PM
A primary 2 pupil I work with sometimes, employes many of the stratagies mentioned, from taking a long time to settle down, not managing to have what he needs to do the task, disengaging before he's begun, and trying to spend time out of the classroom at the drinks fountain or toilets! He's good at art but needs a lot of support and encouragement to undertake written or mathematical work. Amongst his peers he is happy and confident but lacks self belief when it comes to the academic side. I believe there is a good chance he could be dyslexic. When working with him I have ensured info regarding his stratagies/work etc is fed back to his class teacher and I know he has been highlighted for further assessing.
Al's Photo
Re: Coping strategies employed by learners with dyslexia in the classroom by Moira Thomson - Thursday, 7 April 2011, 07:08 AM
by Alasdair Andrew - Saturday, 26 January 2013, 5:09 PM

Picture of Clare Sargent
Re: Coping strategies employed by learners with dyslexia in the classroom
by Clare Sargent - Tuesday, 20 March 2012, 09:48 PM
Good Evening
A child I have supported has used all of these coping strategies! They are off sick repeatedly. The child asks the others in their group what they are to be doing after thorough and repeated explanation. The parent can be heard continually scolding about lost items and has been called in by the teacher regarding lost homework. The parent brought in a third replacement spelling book which they had found in the playground. The child will look ponderous about an idea they are about to write down but the words rarely reach the page. I become encouraged and excited to see the pencil fall to the paper, only to read the words are the same as the person next to them.
On a recent school trip a group was being supported in literacy. I was there to support behaviour, etc. They were given their own backpacks with notepads and pens to jot ideas for a story. We were in an awesome historical building which all he children loved. After much encouragement, video-ing, talking and discussing the ideas flowed and ebbed but the child had scribbled two words. They were the only one to rip the page out to start again..which never happened.
They come across as fun and particularly enjoy acting out scenarios in class. They do , however, have a very aggressive side..I see this will be covered in the next section.
I am still quite new to the school role and don`t have the confidence to start labelling a child to the teacher. I assumed all teachers would have had some sort of dyslexia training. I tried to drop a few nuggets from what I have learned so far but the only person interested is the special needs lady who can do screening. I will have further words with them about how to approach the class teacher.
I feel I have let the child down although I didn`t have this new found knowledge. I have been warned off instant labelling with this new found knowledge and the excitement of a new course!
Wish me luck and confidence and diplomacy!
Picture of Wendy Welsh
by Wendy Welsh - Thursday, 22 May 2014, 3:23 PM

This is my first experience of forum posts so am not very confident .

Hi In the class I am in at the moment I support a boy who has cerebral palsy and his associated difficulties with learning.

In the class there is one individual who is a chatter box and bit of a joker this is his strategy to cover the huge difficulties he has with his dyslexia. 

There is another young lady who copies a lot  from other children in spellings and any writing activities .During tasks involving collection of information from text  she struggles to identify key elements of text and transpose into her own words. She has a tendency to copy text as a whole. 
Yes I feel she may be dyslexic as she has other issues along side this.

I have passed on my observations to the class teacher.