Forum Hidden Dyslexia for TA/LAs

Difficulties that co-occur with dyslexia by Moira Thomson - Thursday, 7 April 2011, 07:10 AM

Al's Photo
Difficulties that co-occur with dyslexia by Moira Thomson - Thursday, 7 April 2011, 07:10 AM
by Alasdair Andrew - Saturday, 26 January 2013, 4:53 PM

It may be very difficult to tell whether dyslexia is also present alongside another condition that appears to affect literacy.

Some teachers believe that it does not matter whether any co-occurring dyslexia is identified, as this is merely a label – but others insist that identification of any dyslexia is necessary so that additional needs can be met appropriately. 

What do you think?

Al's Photo
Re: Difficulties that co-occur with dyslexia by Moira Thomson - Thursday, 7 April 2011, 07:10 AM
by Alasdair Andrew - Saturday, 26 January 2013, 4:54 PM

Picture of tracy Lenthall
Re: Difficulties that co-occur with dyslexia
by tracy Lenthall - Thursday, 4 August 2011, 04:20 PM
In my opinion, it is vital that we try and do our very best to identify anything which can act as a barrier to a child's learning. It is our responsibility where ever possible to identify all potential barriers in order to try and put the correct support in place for a child, to enable them to achieve their full potential. Failure to do so can lead to individuals who develop low self esteem and confidence, have little sense of self worth and under achieve in life.
Picture of Eilidh MacDonald
Re: Difficulties that co-occur with dyslexia
by Eilidh MacDonald - Thursday, 17 May 2012, 01:28 PM

By saying someone has dyslexia should not put that person in a box,it is important that at the end of the day the person receives the help they need. As a parent I would rather my child was diagnosed so that additional help was supplied. It could be argued that screening for every child who has problems with reading and spelling would cost money school don't have. From the point of view as a parent I think it would be money well spent.