Forum Hidden Dyslexia for TA/LAs

Dyslexia and self-esteem by Moira Thomson - Thursday, 7 April 2011, 07:15 AM

Al's Photo
Dyslexia and self-esteem by Moira Thomson - Thursday, 7 April 2011, 07:15 AM
by Alasdair Andrew - Saturday, 26 January 2013, 4:51 PM

Many children/young people with dyslexia seem to go through education without experiencing success.

The damage to their self-esteem is so severe that many never really feel good about themselves.

Do you think this is true of all dyslexic learners, only of those whose dyslexia is not identified or not true at all?

Al's Photo
Re: Dyslexia and self-esteem by Moira Thomson - Thursday, 7 April 2011, 07:15 AM
by Alasdair Andrew - Saturday, 26 January 2013, 4:52 PM

Picture of tracy Lenthall
Re: Dyslexia and self-esteem
by tracy Lenthall - Monday, 8 August 2011, 04:02 PM
I believe It is possible for all dyslexics to suffer damage to their self esteem and therefore feel unable to feel good about themselves. For those that go undiagnosed, who struggle throughout their entire education believing themselves to be 'stupid' etc it is easy to see how that can happen. However being diagnosed does not neccesarily prevent an indvidual's self esteem from being damaged too. Some of this may be down to the length of time it may have taken for them to have been diagnosed and how long they have had to struggle in education trying to find ways to cope/ keep up, or feeling useless/stupid. For some diagnosis will come as a relief, but not necessarily for all. It is not always easy for individuals (or their family) to accept that they have a specific need and that in it's self can (depending on the support made available) have a damaging effect on self esteem and the ability to feel good about ones self.
Picture of Eilidh MacDonald
by Eilidh MacDonald - Thursday, 24 May 2012, 09:16 AM
This could be argued on a number of fronts. Listening to the mother whose son who had dsylexia and the problems he came across while in school due to the fact he had not been diagnosed and the affect it had on his self esteem would seem to say that if this was the norm of all dsylexic pupils then they are not experiencing the success they should be in schools. I remember a child who I knew well but was not diagnosed until they were in High School but did well and with the back up and help of the school went on to University. This child did experience success. This could have had a lot to do with the type of pupil they were or just that the school was very supportive.
Al's Photo
Re: Dyslexia and self-esteem by Moira Thomson - Thursday, 7 April 2011, 07:15 AM
by Alasdair Andrew - Saturday, 26 January 2013, 5:08 PM

Picture of Clare Sargent
by Clare Sargent - Tuesday, 8 May 2012, 07:36 PM
I do not think this is true of all dyslexic learners. A friend of mine has a nephew who was identified as a dyslexic learner just before his A-levels. Her relief was massive as she had struggled for years to get him help for something no-one seemed to want to acknowledge; however the amount of support he received after acknowledgement was incredible. He received a specially modified laptop, support and extra time for handing in assignments, to mention a few. He is now enjoying university.
It is, however difficult to imagine his frustration up until this point. He may suffer with self-esteem issues throughout his life because he never felt he could keep up for so many years ..years which he was ignored and reprimanded.
For someone whose dyslexia is not identified, their coping strategies may see them through but never to their full potential. Surely their angst coping with traditional learning would have a severely detrimental effect on their self-esteem.