Forum - Hidden Dyslexia courses for Teachers

Course materials by Moira Thomson - Thursday, 12 March 2009, 04:35 PM

Al's Photo
Re: Course materials by Moira Thomson - Thursday, 12 March 2009, 04:35 PM
by Alasdair Andrew - Thursday, 24 January 2013, 6:09 PM

Picture of Caroline McDermott
Re: Course materials
by Caroline McDermott - Wednesday, 13 July 2011, 12:36 PM

Spelling ? Resources keeps appearing as resourses ... And there are other spelling errors which I find rather bizarre in professional CPD !
Al's Photo
by Alasdair Andrew - Wednesday, 13 July 2011, 04:11 PM
Many thanks for highlighting the spelling error in resources. I'll check though and make any corrections. As a dyslexic I will always make spelling mistakes but with spell checkers, proof readers and kind people pointing out my mistakes then I hope they will not be too many.
Regards
Alasdair

Picture of Moira Thomson
by Moira Thomson - Thursday, 14 July 2011, 07:27 AM

Thank you for pointing this out. Please let us know of any other concerns you have about our materials.

I can assure you that Resources was correctly written in the course specification- but we CPD professionals are in the hands of the technical team when it comes to website entries - and the technical director is dyslexic, so it is not surprising that some errors crept in!

However, I will ask the proof reader to re-check all materials.

Moira

course tutor

Picture of Caroline McDermott
by Caroline McDermott - Wednesday, 27 July 2011, 09:02 AM

Point taken ! Apologies if I caused upset.

Videos : am I right in thinking that English schools etc are far more advanced in the way they approach dyslexia ? Fabulous good practice from all centres featured but there just seems to be far more English ones. I would love to work in a school such as Harris CTC - in Scotland.

Picture of Moira Thomson
by Moira Thomson - Thursday, 28 July 2011, 07:09 AM

I agree that the video material from England is excellent and that the schools featured demonstrate great practice for supporting learners with dyselxia.

Most of this video material was made by Teachers' TV - a government funded project - now, sadly, closed down. The current system for supporting Special Needs in England provides schools with a well funded system that provides extra resources (including staff - mainly teaching assistants) once a learner's needs are assessed. The government is currently working to change this to something closer to the Scottish system.

The Scottish video was made as part of the development for a curriculum for excellence and was designed to highlight aspects of this, not really showcase good practice re supporting dyslexia - and funding to support additonal needs is found from within a school's allocated budget - though application may be made to authorities for 'additonal' resources in rare individual cases.

Many schools in Scotland have truly excellent support for learners with dyselxia embedded in their practice and many schools in England are making very little informed provision - unfortunately, practice is patchy on both sides of the border.

Course tutor

Picture of Betty Skelton
by Betty Skelton - Saturday, 11 February 2012, 06:40 PM

It used to be the case that only some authorities recognised and did something about dyslexia. I remember working with one family who were prepared to up sticks and move to Aberdeen from Ayrshire to get support for their child. I believe we have moved on considerably since the 1980 s.
Picture of Evelyn Mullen
by Evelyn Mullen - Friday, 26 August 2011, 10:25 AM

The course materials collectively make a fantastic resource thanks. I have tried to use a few links to a Teacher's TV page which does not work. Is this this available through the Teacher's TV pages on the TES site?

Picture of Moira Thomson
by Moira Thomson - Friday, 26 August 2011, 11:34 AM

Teachers TV has been closed by the governmentPD Bytes account in You Tube.

Now, the video that used to be on Teachers TV is located at Teachers Media - http://www.teachersmedia.co.uk/

If you note the title of the video you want to bookmark, you will find it easy to do a keyword search on this site.

Course tutor

Picture of Irene McIlchere
by Irene McIlchere - Sunday, 28 August 2011, 01:29 PM

The resources are clearly laid out and user-friendly. They are enjoyable to through and will be invaluable to dip into in the future. They play an important part in raising awareness of 'Hidden Dyslexia'. I particularly like how the advice and suggestions can be easily adapted into the everyday classroom thus avoiding the problems of isolation and exclusion that can be part of the school experience of many dyslexic students. A super example of clearly written, informative texts.
Picture of Evelyn Mullen
by Evelyn Mullen - Monday, 29 August 2011, 11:16 AM

Thanks I'll do that