Forum - Hidden Dyslexia courses for Teachers

Reading by Lindsay Dunseith - Monday, 15 June 2009, 09:22 PM

Al's Photo
Re: Reading by Lindsay Dunseith - Monday, 15 June 2009, 09:22 PM
by Alasdair Andrew - Thursday, 24 January 2013, 6:08 PM

Picture of Moira Thomson
Re: Reading
by Moira Thomson - Thursday, 18 June 2009, 08:42 AM

Course Paper 2 is actually about speech and language, though, as you point out, reading is mentioned.

I agree that the acquisition of reading fluency starts with decoding - once the learner 'cracks the code' linguistic meaning will follow.  However, if the learner has difficulty sequencing or segmenting sounds, and/or has problems synthesising words the result may be a phonological processing deficit that will prevent the development of reading automaticity.

While a phonological processing difficulty could be due to underlying dyslexia, in the early years failure to match sound to symbol may be due to a speech problem that could be resolved by theraputic intervention.

Picture of Irene McIlchere
by Irene McIlchere - Saturday, 17 September 2011, 04:36 PM

I have found with a number of my pupils that they are embarrassed by the books they are expected to read. It may be the content is of no interest to them, often immature, the book looks like a 'baby' book, or the most upsetting scenario of all, they are expected to practise reading a book their younger siblings read long ago. More care is needed to ensure that children struggling with reading are encouraged to read by being given age appropriate, interesting, up to date books. These days when everyone is watching the pennies it is too easy to cater for struggling readers by digging out something from the back of the cupboard, forgetting that at one time it was decided that the back of the cupboard was the best place for them.
Picture of Moira Thomson
by Moira Thomson - Monday, 19 September 2011, 07:34 AM

I can strongly recommend the paperback books by Barrington Stoke publishers for all struggling - and relucant - readers.

http://www.barringtonstoke.co.uk/

Published specifically for readerswith dyslexia they are a wonderful mix of age-appropriate content and low reading levels.

They also take account of the visual stress experienced by many struggling readers as they concentrate on text by being printed on off-white non-glare paper - with lots of appropriate illustrations, a limited number of words per page - wide line spacing,slightly larger font than most paperbacks and a ragged right margin.

Struggling readers don't need boring books in childish language - they need the best stories they can get. And that's why Barrington Stoke publish stories by some of the best children's authors in the world.

Do check out their catalogue and find out for yourself.

Course tutor

Picture of Betty Skelton
by Betty Skelton - Saturday, 11 February 2012, 06:46 PM

Barrington Stoke have fabulous books to persuade the most reluctant reader?
I am also a huge fan of the Closing the Literacy Gap method of teaching reluctant readers (also known as Reading Recovery)
Picture of Helen Love
by Helen Love - Wednesday, 21 September 2011, 02:55 PM

I have been using an excellent resource in school puplished by Heinemann called Rapid Reading, which is designed for reluctent boy readers.

I can not recommend this enough, it has had such a major impact on the children using it, and I have seen reading ages move from being 2-3 years behind at P5 level to being almost on track within a year. I don't have any children using this scheme for whom it has not had a massive impact. I am now trialing it with EAL boys too as it is such a rich source of conversation topics.

The voice recognition software was not generally liked by the children and is expensive, but the books are loved with a passion. They all have a fiction and non-fiction text and cover the wierd, wonderful and generally disgusting!

I should probably add that all of the text is on a yellow background too.

Helen